Based on INTOSAI standards and guidelines, the e-learning course is designed to get an overview on the basic principles and stages of a performance audit. The introduction will include the concept of the three Es (economy, efficiency, and effectiveness), the differences between a performance audit and other types of audits, reviews, and evaluations. Then, the four stages of a performance audit are covered in more detail:
- Selecting & understanding a performance audit: Following the steps to identify an audit area, understand it, and define precise audit questions to be answered by the audit;
- Designing a performance audit: How to design the audit by defining the necessary audit evidence, identifying possible audit tools for its collection and analysis, and preparing an audit planning document;
- Conducting a performance audit: How best to collect and analyse data, establish the audit evidence, manage the audit, and control for quality; and finally
- Reporting & follow-up on a performance audit: Appreciating the methods involved in reporting, like drafting conclusions and recommendations, structuring and publishing the report, and the carrying out follow-up on a performance audit.
For each stage, the course provides an overview and introduces some tools that can help auditors to implement a performance audit successfully. At the end of each module, participants can take a final test to assess what they have learned.
- The opening lesson provides the scope and background of the course
- The course modules cover the phases of a performance audit
- The closing lesson provides a recap and follow-up on the course discussion